Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Group 9- Pollitical Unrest
In the past China has upset a few of its neighbors such as :
The German Bundestag has passed a resolution condemming China for its practicing of the Laogai. They were set to vote on the resolution which demands the end of Chinas entire Laogai system. They also want the following:
"1. to continue to condemn the conditions in the laogai camps, to urge the People's Republic of China to close these institutions, and to continue to make the issue of the laogai system a focus of attention in the bilateral rule-of-law dialogue as well in EU-China human rights dialogue;
2. to carry on requesting the Government of the People's Republic of China to release information about the laogai system, including the exact number of camps, their exact location, and the number of prisoners detained within them;
3. to request the Government of the People's Republic of China to release information about the goods produced in the laogai, including product descriptions and the countries to which they are exported;
4. in cooperation with appropriate multipliers (such as the chambers of commerce abroad), to make German companies with operations in China aware that their Chinese business partners may be fronting laogai-related activities;
5. to work pro-actively with appropriate private-sector bodies to establish a voluntary seal of quality for Chinese products which do not contain any components manufactured in laogai camps and also in the framework of the Global Compact move against the distribution of products originating in laogai camps;
6. to keep requesting the Government of the People's Republic of China to release information about the number of deaths of prisoners in the laogai camps;
7. to continue to urge the Government of the People's Republic of China to allow unrestricted visits by the UN High Commissioner on Human Rights, all UN Special Rapporteurs and representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) to all laogai camps throughout China;
8. to use its influence to get the UN Human Rights Council to address the issue of the Chinese laogai camps."
( The German Bundestag to the Federal Goverment of China)
Several international Human Rights Organizations, the Committee of Social and Economic Rights of the United Nations and, recently, the US Congress, with a majority of 413 votes against 1, have condemned the LAOGAI and the ongoing violation of human rights in China.
sday May 22, 1997 there was a
HEARING BEFORE THE SUBCOMMITEE ON INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS AND HUMAN RIGHTS OF THE COMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ONE HUNDRED FIFTH CONGRESS. Where many people spoke out against the cruelty of the laogai system
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"